Featured Artist Raven Moonla Exclusive Interview

1) Hello and welcome, please tell our readers a little about yourself? Where are you from? What is your current occupation?

Hello.  My name is Raven Moonla, and I hail from Jackson, TN.  I currently work as a professional artist as well as owning Metal Devastation Radio, Metal Devastation PR, and the Tennessee Metal Devastation Music Festival with my husband, Zach Moonshine. 


 2) When did your interest in drawing begin?  

I have always had an interest in drawing, but I remember really becoming passionate about it in the 4th grade.  I had an awesome teacher who was a great artist, and she really encouraged me.

3) Your style of art sometimes features dark and atmospheric themes, is there a point in time when that became your dominant form of art? If so, what band or artist inspired you first?  

Yes, some of my art is dark and atmospheric, but it always has a bit of whimsy and mysticism as well.  I have always been super into fantasy movies and art, and when I was a child, I was obsessed with the visuals of movies such as Labyrinth, Legend, The Dark Crystal, and more.  I think my style of art was heavily influenced by those films.  My biggest influences as far as artists go are William Blake, Adam Burke, Tim Burton, and Glenn Danzig.  My art does not look like their art, but their work for sure inspired me.


4) When exactly was the creation of your Art page, how has it helped by promoting your work?  

I just started my art page under the name of Artwork of Raven Moonla.  It has been about 2 years now.  It gives me a great place to showcase my past and current works and a place for new and potential clients to browse my works and get a feel for my style. 


5) How many bands have you done t-shirt/cd cover art for?  

I have only done art for one band so far, and that was for Gravehuffer.  It was for a special t-shirt they sent out to the fans who ordered one of their vinyls.  It was an honor to get to be involved in that.

6) Are you a self thought artist or did you have any teachers? As far as you remember in your early drawing stages have you notice a steady progression in your work? how has your art progressed since that time?  

I would say that I am mostly self-taught.  I did take a couple of art classes while in college, but they were very basic and general in nature, so while I did learn some art history and get to do some cool projects in those classes, I don’t think I actually perfected any specific skills.

I can definitely see a progression in my art over the years.  Like with anything, the more I practice and paint, draw, and sculpt, the better I get at it.  I learn more and more about each medium I am creating with, and each piece I create makes me more confident and feel more inspired to make more pieces.  

These days, I have a definite style and feel that I have finally found who I am as an artist.  I think my clientele has greatly increased over the last two years for this reason.  It is a great feeling to be able to connect with people who understand and love what I create.  I feel truly honored each time someone buys art from me.  It feels surreal, and also validating. 


7) Name some of  your most notable accomplishments? Any big bands that have used your work? Any projects or piece that made an impact? 

I think my biggest accomplishment is that I am a working artist and I am able to sell enough paintings each month to make a decent living. It took 30 years of creating art for me to get to this point, so I am truly proud of where I am at.  

Last year (2023), I was a featured artist at Grey House Gallery in Florence, Alabama.  That was my first time being a gallery artist, and it was an amazing experience.  I learned a lot and got to meet a ton of new artist friends.  It also got my name out there and really helped boost my sales. 

I am currently a tattoo artist apprentice at Enchanted Inks Tattoo and Piercing Studio in Jackson, TN.  This is an accomplishment that I am super proud of because it is something I have wanted to do for a long time but lacked the courage to do so.  I am excited to see where this path takes me.

I also currently sell my art online, but also in an oddities shop in downtown Jackson.  The store is called SmithOddities, and it specializes in unique and odd collectible items.  I was given the opportunity to set up and sell my art there, and it has been amazing for me.  My art sells at a steady pace and more and more people are discovering my art.  I am super grateful for the opportunity!


8) Name some of the places or blogs that have featured your artwork? 

My art is featured on Metaldevastationradio.com, and my graphic design work can be seen monthly in Decibel magazine via the Metal Devastation PR ad.  I have also done magazine layouts for bands who were featured in magazines in Europe

9) What are your aspiration and goals 2024? What are your current projects?

My aspirations for this year are to keep on doing what I am doing.  I want to make as much art as possible for those who want to buy it.  It brings me a lot of joy knowing that people like what I do enough to place my art in their homes and businesses.  Currently, I am working on experimentation with new mediums, such as resin art, various inks, and doing more sculpting.

10) If any bands/labels/zines etc.. want to get in contact with you, what is the best way to reach you? 

The best way to contact me is via email at raven@metaldevastationradio.com, or via my Facebook personal page @RavenMoonla. 

11) Thanks so much for participating in my webzine, the last lines are for you, any final thoughts?

I am just super honored to get to create and to make a decent living while doing so.  It feels good to know that my vision and my aesthetic inspires others and that people can relate to it.  I want to thank everyone who has purchased from me, and my friends and family who continue to encourage me each day.  It means a lot.



Thank you for reading and be sure to visit the artist.
Help me maintain and keep this blog running with some coffee.
If you like to get me a Ko Fi visit me here Artemortifica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exclusive interview with the band After Infinity and their upcoming release A Game Of Chess

Exclusive interview with Spektrvm