Morgan Reid exclusive interview and upcoming release Terran

 1- Hello and welcome to Metal Music Midwest, first off, thanks for taking the time to do the interview, could you give our readers a brief description of the group? Where is the band from?


My name is Morgan Reid and I’m from Toronto, Canada but I’ve been working and living in Leipzig, Germany for the last 9 years. I’m a metal guitarist, composer and producer, dancer and choreographer. I’m known for my fierce technical shredding, slamming riffs, bombastic windmills and melodic lead lines. This is my solo project, but I’m also notably the guitarist and songwriter for Bloodshot Dawn.

2- "Terran" is your debut album, how long did it take to organize this release?

Well after a few years of band life, touring and writing music together… I realized I still very much enjoy writing instrumental guitar focused music and set about finding the sound I really wanted. Searching for my musical vision and what I really wanted to bring to the table. Having the guitar as the main focus of my creativity meant that how I was to approach the instrument would very much dictate the direction of any given song. So I wrote close to 20 songs, and through this experience I compiled my favorites and focused on improving them, shaping them and adding layers, melodies and solos. I work in my home studio that I built in the process of writing this album and I’ve used this project as a platform to learn all about mixing and mastering. I’ve used it to improve my arranging and songwriting abilities and although it’s been years in the making I'm very satisfied with the result.


3- What musical influences inspire your compositions?

I’ve always had a very eclectic taste in music, I grew up listening to all kinds of music, classical, old school jazz, rock and roll, rap… really everything. It wasn’t until I was about 18 that I really got deep into metal and playing guitar that my tastes became solidified, at least for what I wanted to write. I think my career as a dancer and choreographer has also had a huge impact on my music. I’ve spent countless hours in the studio and on stage listening to Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Philip Glass to name a few, that and creating my own music for full evening productions have given me a vast outlook on what music is capable of. In terms of guitar music, Per Nilsson of Scar Symmetry and Paul Wardingham have been my biggest influences in recent years, but I’m also quite a guitar nerd and listen to a lot of instrumental guitar music such as Intervals, Plini and David Maxim Micic… friends from the same generation.

4- The album title is "Terran", can you give us details about the content?

As an instrumental project I often struggle with themes, and definitely tend to focus on the impact the music makes above additional themes… that being said, I’ve spent an exorbitant amount of time creating 5 music videos to bring a strong visual element to this body of work. I’ve incorporated sci-fi themes as well as epic videography, dance and my own brand of headbanging guitar performance.

The subject matter which I wish to relay to people from the album would be the concept for the title track Terran. It’s about an alternate version of earth, one that we can use to see our faults, to the extreme. The final music video to go along with the track will have some intense imagery and it takes a look at our inner darkness. Our inability to change and our destructive practices that have been easily brushed under the rug by corporate greed.


5- Have you performed any shows in your area? If so, how receptive and supportive are the people to your music?

I don’t have any plans yet for performing live, although it would be great to get a small band together in the future. As it’s my first release and this genre tends to thrive from the international/internet community, it’ll be interesting to see what opportunities may arise!

6- Are there any upcoming shows or tours you can tell us about?

I generally tour with my band Bloodshot Dawn. We’ve toured Europe, UK, Canada and Japan and hope to continue soon. Maybe I can convince the guys to play a song or two from Terran haha!

7- Thanks for your participation, finally, what is the best way to get a hold of you, in case someone wants to book or promote you? Any final words?

www.morganreidguitar.com 

morgan@morganreidguitar.com

I’d just like to take the opportunity to mention a couple things: I’m doing a giveaway for an Ibanez RG7421PB-SBF and other prizes, if you share the upcoming music video for Terran (single) Out November 25th.

AND

I would like to thank anyone who has taken the time to listen to my music. It’s the kind of music that really requires the listener to pay attention and I’m humbled that you would take the time to appreciate it. Thank you and thank you everyone for supporting the project through pre-orders and buying the album / T-shirts etc.

I’d also like to thank the Initiative Musik, for funding me and making this body of work possible. I feel honoured to be selected for their support and as difficult as it can be to succeed in this field… Just knowing that I have their support along with my fans, gives me hope for the future. Especially since it’s my first album!

Thank you for the interview!

Morgan


Thank you readers. Bands please visit The Metallist PR & Marketing to get your music out there

Visit them at https://www.themetallistpr.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exclusive interview with the band After Infinity and their upcoming release A Game Of Chess

Exclusive interview with Spektrvm